Summer is approaching. Soon the kids will be out of school and you’ll need to find things for them to do. There are lots of fun things you can do with your family at home or in your area that cost little or nothing.
- Play those classic backyard games. Depending on the ages of your children, these could be “Duck, Duck, Goose,” “Simon Says”, tag or other games.
- Don’t have a pool? Set up a sprinkler or get one of the many water toys you can find in the stores. It’s an easy way to cool the kids off when the weather is hot.
- Get creative! Pull out the crayons, paints, or whatever your kids enjoy doing, and just have fun. Find creative ways to use old tubes from paper towel rolls, bottles, cans, and anything you have around the house. You might be surprised by what comes up.
- Paint t-shirts or other clothing. The kids will have a lot of fun decorating their own clothing, and you only have to buy a few inexpensive plain shirts and some paints.
- Find out when the local museums don’t charge admission. It’s not uncommon for one day a month to be free at a lot of places. Just search online or look them up in the phone book and give them a call.
- Have a backyard barbeque. Hot dogs and hamburgers taste so much better when cooked outside and it’s fun. Don’t forget the s’mores!
- Build a fort. You don’t have to head to the lumbar yard, just tear apart the couch! Alternatively, head to your local hardware store or furniture store and see if they have any large cardboard boxes they would otherwise just throw out.
- Go to the library. Libraries today may have movies as well as books, so you might just save on some rental fees.
- Make ice cream or other frozen treats. Ice cream machines don’t cost too much and last for years. Snow cone makers are even cheaper, and the only ingredients you need are ice and flavoring!
- Go for a walk, skating, bicycling, you name it. It’s active, healthy, but most of all fun and great family time. Go around the block or head down to the park.
You don’t have to spend a fortune to have fun with your kids during the summer. Family activities can make summer memorable.
Don’t forget to make sure your kids have lots of time with their friends! Just invite them over or take turns with their parents.