1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
10 10-inch flour tortillas
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 2.25 oz can sliced black olives, drained
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup chili powder
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1-1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic
salt to taste
To make sauce:
- Heat oil in a skillet. Stir in chili powder and flour, cooking over medium heat until slightly brown. Stir constantly.
- Add tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic and salt. Cook for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- This recipe makes more sauce than you will need for the enchiladas. Freeze remainder after making enchiladas for next time.
To make enchiladas:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook ground beef and onion in a skillet.
- Pour 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Put aside 1/2 cup cheese for topping.
- For each flour tortilla, place equal amounts of ground beef and cheese. Roll tightly and place with the seam down in the baking dish.
- Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and olives.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven or until cheese is thoroughly melted.
I know making the sauce is more work than buying the dry mix in the grocery store, but this one is well worth it. My husband didn’t think he liked enchiladas until he tried these.