1 lb ground beef
1 cup chopped onion (one large)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 71/2 oz can tomatoes, cut up
2 8 oz can tomato sauce
2 6 oz con tomato paste
2 tsp dried basil, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1/4 cup red wine (optional)
6 dried lasagna noodles
1 beaten egg
2 cups cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan
3 tbsp snipped fresh parsley (optional)
approx 1 lb sliced or shredded mozzarella
- For sauce, cook meat, onion, and garlic till meat is brown. Drain fat.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and 1/4 tsp pepper bring to boiling, reduce heat, simmer 15 min, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles for 10 to 12 min or till tender, drain and rinse with cold water.
- For filling combine the egg, cottage cheese, parmesan cheese and the parsley.
- Layer half the noodles, spread with half the cheese filling, half the mozzarella, half the meat sauce, repeat.
- Bake at 375 for 30 to 35 min or till heated through. Let stand 10 min before serving.
Make ahead directions are as above except after assembling, cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Bake covered at 375 for 40 min. Uncover, bake for 20 more min or till hot. Let stand 10 min.
Hints: For the parsley, a smaller amount of dried parsley works just as well. And I usually find it easier to make it before boiling the noodles so that assembly can begin right after the noodles are done. For the meat sauce, I like to simmer it covered for at least a couple hours if I’m feeling that ambitious.