Eggplant and Mushroom Stroganoff
This recipe serves about 4 to 6 people and is best when served over rice or fettuccine noodles.
1 medium eggplant (diced into bite sized pieces)
1 pounds of mushrooms (cut into thick slices (1/3-1/2 in.)
2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
4 cloves of crushed garlic
1 tablespoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/4 cup each of balsamic vinegar white wine (for sauteing)
Salt and pepper to taste
1) In a cup, mix equal parts of balsamic vinegar and white wine for sauteing.
2) Add crushed garlic to the mixture, which is then used to saute the eggplant until it becomes soft. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes at medium heat.
3) Remove the eggplant. Saute the mushrooms in the remaining vinegar or wine mixture until they release their juices.
4) Stir in the eggplant, followed by adding the soup mix and water (or canned soup).
5) Add the paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
6) Cook the mixture for 5 to 6 minutes until the sauce has become thick and the vegetables are thoroughly heated.
7) Add additional water if the sauce appears too thick. It is important not to overcook.